Monday, June 24, 2013

The Keeper of Turquoise Heights...

Yesterday afternoon, JP and I stopped in to visit 40 West Gallery's current "Recycled Art & Vivid Color" Exhibition. What a fun show! I spotted my 2nd one of a kind owl Artscape proudly displaying an Award of Excellence too. So, I had JP snap a quick photo of me with my featured piece, "The Keeper of Turquoise Heights." The exhibit will hang for another couple weeks, so those of you in the area should swing by 1560 Teller Street in Lakewood to see it! You can also catch a show at the adjoining EDGE Theater! For those of you interested in my new series of Artscapes, this unique, dimensional framed owl is $825 plus shipping. Scroll down for more images. Thanks for peeking....

Johanna-with-Artscape

* It was hot & sunny afternoon; hence, the cut-offs and tank top were my attire of choice. We were out and about, scouting potential property spots along Colfax Avenue to paint murals. We are looking for muralists in case you know of any artists who would like to showcase their art along high traffic areas and enhance our emerging 40 West Arts District!...

Anyway, back to my Artscape.....

Keeper-of-Turquoise-Heights-Artscape

* Meet: "The Keeper of Turquoise Heights" $825 plus shipping...
(BTW, those are JP's hands..... not mine :)

The photos do not do this piece justice, but I promise you that it is pretty special! And, this Artscape is surrounded by a mid-century frame that JP modified. So, we met the challenge of bringing recycled elements and vivid color together.

Owl-Crop-Keeper-of-Turquoise-Heights

* I painted this piece using vintage hues consisting of turquoise blue, orange, terracotta, magenta, plum, gold and cream.....

Keeper-of-Turquoise-Heights-Artscape-Angled

* But, much of the detail occurs during the sculpting process where I add layer upon layer of textural depth via my papier mache. Some areas, painted in rich undertones, recede to add more depth and pattern. The carved branches, along with the owls eyes, beak, belly, wings and ears protrude beyond the base artscape to add more interest. His wiry feet also project beyond the dimensional branch that he perches upon. And indeed, he is "The Keeper of Turquoise Heights."
Framed Artscape: 12.5" wide by 14.5" tall.

Owl-Close-Keeper-of-Turquoise-Heights

 * If you are interested in hanging this unique Artscape in your home, please EMAIL ME....

Hoot Hoot!
~ Johanna


Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments: