Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Horn Tootin'

I've started collecting the vintage Halloween horns as I love their graphic look and shape, and they inspire me as I create my own illustrated horns and hats for my papier mache characters. In a grouping like this one on my fireplace mantel, they are bold and eye-catching, playful and fun. The tallest one was just given to me as an early birthday gift from my mom, so it's starting to feel like a real collection!
Together, I feel that my one of kind art pieces blend well with the vintage novelties of yesteryear. The witch bust pictured actually appeared in my recent BH&G Halloween Tricks & Treats Magazine article, so she's had her day of fame, and I've decided to keep her. Perhaps I'll make similar witchy busts next year as I know many folks have asked if I'd be putting her up for adoption.....Anyway, this is just a little peek from my inspirations at home..... Go toot those horns in honor of my favorite holiday!



© 2007 Johanna Parker Design * All contents on this site are the property of Johanna Parker and may not be used without permission.

11 comments:

*retro-rudolphs* said...

I am GREEN with envy... don't know which I love more your hats or vintage horns? Yes, I do, it's definitely your hats!!

Ulla said...

Welcome to Bloglandia!!! Looks great! Can't wait to see what else you'll post!!!
Hugs...

Anonymous said...

YIPPEE!!! I LOVE that you have a blog! I will definately be checking it out often! YAY!

XOXO, Amber

Kitty Forseth said...

Oh she looks GREAT with your horns!!

xo Kitty

Soft in the Head said...

Welcome to the land of blogs! I enjoy your art so much and can't get enough of it! Your picture of "you and your man" is adorable! Pam

DesignsbyCK said...

Love the horns Johanna! I am envious too and they do look GREAT with your witch bust! Suggestion, you should make a white winter witch version for Christmas! '-)

Best,
Chris

HopHopJingleBoo said...

welcome to blogland !your work looks great love the horns! will add you to my blog list!

vintagepaletteart said...

Johanna! That is a to die for display you have there! I Love your art! =o)

~Lori

Holiday Queen said...

A festive collection indeed! One of the many perks of having a birthday in October is getting Halloween presents! Love it! Melissa

Colleen said...

oh my witch my witch...I'm so happy to visit with here again here in blogland. Please tell me I am #1 on your list for when you decide to let her go...LOVE HER!

Shellhorn said...

What a great collection. You always have the best ideas!
Happy Birthday tomorrow!
See you in November.
I will try to take a pic of my Johanna Halloween display and post it.