Monday, October 13, 2008

Autumn Inspirations in Colorado...

I love this time of year in Colorado! The mountains glow in brilliant shades of orange and gold as the aspens change each fall. It's a full sensory experience when the wind whistles through their leaves and they twinkle in the sunlight. JP and I decided to get at least one hike in while the colors where at their peak. I have to say, that trail was quite the challenge! It was straight up the whole way, so I made many excuses to stop and take pictures as I tried to catch my breath along the way.... Enjoy the fall color!...

~ Johanna


* Looking up at the brilliant orange aspen leaves against a blue sky...


* The main road that we walked along before taking a side trail, straight up the mountain...


* JP stops at a gorgeous overlook near the tiny town of Eldora...


* Up up up the trail we go......


* A grove of glowing aspens captured my eye on one of my many breaks... Of course JP was way ahead of me....


* Look how their trunks twist and turn along the mountainside...


* Looking back across the tips of evergreen trees and afar to another mountainside gleaming in fall colors...


* Way way up there, JP stops to tighten his boot... I stop to slow down my heart!...


* Looking back at the progress we made..... whoowee!....


* After climbing 1,500 feet, I take a much needed break... :)

7 comments:

Halloween Fanatic said...

What a gorgeous setting for a hike! It makes me want to head up to the mountains and go for one myself!

Kingfisher Farm said...

Magical! What a place! Pam

Kitty Forseth said...

Hey There,

I miss seeing the aspen groves, we go to a place in the Sierras called Hope Valley. It is chock-full of quaking aspen, so breath-taking in the fall. Just seeing your pics helps me relax! What a beautiful place you live in :~).

xoxo Kittyymwat

Anonymous said...

Breath-taking photos!..... I just love fall too......

Pam

Patty Benedict said...

I soooo miss my Colorado Aspens! They change colors so fast I'm glad you snaped some photos!!!
Missouri is beautiful in the fall BUT still not like Colorado!

Happy Fall!!
Bugs & Hisses
Patty

Christopher A. Klingler said...

WOW great pics!!! :-D)

Have a great weekend.

Chris

Trudy Honeycutt ~ Folk Artist said...

Hasn't Fall been grand this year???!!!!! I have taken soooo many aspen shots, and even got some with snow while going over Raton Pass a couple days ago!! Thanks for sharing your great pics, Johanna!! ~~Trudy~~