Saturday, April 24, 2010

Recipe for Sweet Indulgence...

I LOVE to cook, but I don't claim to be a baker. Of course, I love cookies and cakes, pies and other sinfully rich delights, but just looking at these delicacies can pile on the pounds. However, I will make an exception for a special occasion or request. Yesterday was JP's Birthday, and he asked that I make him a Chocolate Torte!

Birthday-Torte

Twist my arm right?...Hardly! I have a weakness for chocolate torte, and so jumped at the chance. I went digging for a recipe that I made him 7 years ago for the same occasion. My notes said, "Best so far"... and "Excellent!" So, we went ingredient shopping, and pictured above is the end result! We cut into it and savored each bite moments before midnight. Tempted? Well, I thought I would share the recipe with you just in case.... Warning, this is RICH, so share it with your family and friends so you don't find yourself regretful from eating it ALL :)

Flourless Chocolate Torte Recipe
Yield: 16 servings

Ingredients:
3 oz - unsweetened chocolate
5 ea - eggs
1 c - sugar
1 c - butter, unsalted, melted
3 oz - semisweet chocolate
1/4 c - cornstarch sifted
1/2 tsp - vanilla

***GLAZE***
6 1/2 oz - semisweet chocolate
2 tbs - butter
1/3 c - heavy cream

Directions:
Over hot water in top of double boiler, beat the eggs and sugar until mixture is very light and almost white in color. Remove from heat. (I started out with a hand whisk and realized after several minutes that I might be standing there for hours. So, I hollered for JP to grab the electric mixer and whisk attachment, and eventually I arrived at the desired result. Eggs, slowly cooking over a double boiler make me nervous, so luckily he was around. In this blend, I actually used all natural cane sugar, so it was a bit more creamy in color once all fluffed up)

Meanwhile, melt the butter and skim off the foam. Return to heat and melt the chocolates within the butter. ( We went to Whole Foods and purchased bar and chip chocolate in their bakery / coffee bar. I was in search for Callebaut Belgian chocolate, as JP is from Belgium and that's a popular baking choice out there. However, it was unavailable, so we bought a 6 oz bar of dark South American chocolate, and about 6 oz of German milk chipped chocolate. I say experiment. If you love chocolate, you can't go wrong :) Next time, I think I will use more dark chocolate and less milk chocolate, as this particular torte is pretty sweet!

Beat the sifted cornstarch slowly into the cooling egg mixture on low speed and until thoroughly blended.

Stir the vanilla into the chocolate mixture, and then pour the chocolate mix into the egg mixture and stir by folding until it's uniform in color. Spoon into a 10-inch springform pan that has been greased and floured.

Bake at 325 F for 20-25 minutes, until torte slightly pulls away from sides of pan. A knife inserted in center will NOT come out clean, so do not over bake! (I took mine out after 22 minutes. It was rather jiggly in the middle, and after about a minute, it deflated a bit leaving a central depression, perfect for the glaze) Cool in the springform pan, and remove from ring.

To make the glaze, melt remaining chocolate, butter and cream and spoon over the cooled torte. Refrigerate and chill completely. Every bite is rich, dense and delish! I suggest serving it with raspberries or strawberries and a hot cup of cappuccino!

(I would credit the writer of this recipe, but I found it online 7 years ago, printed it off and added to my 'lil recipe book. I've changed it a bit, and all I can say is that it won't disappoint if you're a chocolate lover like me!)


Happy SWEET Birthday JP!
xoxo,
~ Johanna

10 comments:

J n J Designs said...

Thank You!! This Looks Amazing!!! I have been trying to find a Flour-less chocolate "cake" recipe for what seems like forever!!! YUM!!!

Johanna Parker said...

You're welcome! (I used to think that a flour-less torte was meant to be some sort of diet food, but well, as you can see, it's not...... :) But, it's a crowd pleaser!

~ Johanna

William Bezek said...

OMG...I have a serious boner for that torte. and your freakin' cool stove. and your fiesta ware...the amazing Ms. Parker strikes again(sigh).

Theresa MacNaughton said...

YUM! Thank you so much for posting this wonderful recipe. I will have to try it. Happy belated birthday to JP!

Sharyn Sowell said...

Can't wait to give it a try... looks yummy! Miss you, too. I've been swamped & getting ready for another New York show which means craziness for a month or so. But it's all good. If you come out this way I want a day with you in the studio. Wouldn't that be FUN?!?!?

Johanna Parker said...

Hehe..... you're welcome for the recipe & enjoy!
And Will ~ TMI ..... but I have to say that it is a sexy looking dessert! And yes, my retro appliances help to add some extra style......... By the way, my stove's name is Ester, in case you were wondering. She's the main reason why I bought my house....

~ johanna

Johanna Parker said...

Sharyn - a day in your studio would be FUN...... I'll keep ya posted :)

~ Johanna

darryl moland said...

My birthday is coming up on May 5th! I'm just sayin! Thanks for your nice email. I've got a recipe for something similar that is sublime (called Recut Chocolate Velvet). I'll have to send it to you!

Monkey-Cats Studio said...

Kelly would love this...chocoholic!!
Thanks for sharing!
Laurie

Doreen Frost said...

This looks absolutely delicious!!! I am definitely going to try this :)

Have a wonderful day,
Doreen