Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Autumn with Me & Matthew Mead!...

For a few months now I have been keeping something exciting and very dear under wraps. But, now with fall fast approaching, it is time to let that cat out of its bag! And the scoop is that I am honored to be a style contributor for AUTUMN with Matthew Mead Magazine!

Parker-Heart

Thanks to the magical web of Facebook and a shared passion for Halloween, Matthew and myself connected and became friends. I quickly realized that he was an admirer of my Halloween folk art and I too of his Halloween themed articles, projects and books that he is certainly well known for. When my mom learned of this new friendship, she began to scheme and dream as she (and I) often do. Scheduled on her fall calendar was a fantastical Halloween event she promised to host within the decorated walls of her colonial style home. It would be a gathering of like-minded souls, sharing a passion for all things October 31st with an emphasis on collecting. I was to be one of the 3 surprise guest speakers presenting Halloween delights to the Country Collectors, a long-standing group of Washington-based friends that collect antiques and the like.... But, besides hosting the event, the idea to document and publish this one of a kind day began to haunt my mother, and naturally, she began to haunt me!

After mom had convinced both myself and JP to fly out for this unique experience, she charmed the hearts of both our friends, Bruce Elsass and Mark Craven to join us in presenting to the group. With Mark's prized collection and knowledge of vintage Halloween novelties, Bruce's vintage costumes and current product designs and my Halloween folk art collectibles, it made for a well-rounded group of Halloween hot shots!  And with everyone on board, we were destined to create a very noteworthy day. Fortunately, Matthew Mead was also intrigued by the idea, so with little time to spare, it was up to us to capture the moment!

Halloween-Quartet

I am happy to report that mom's dream truly did become reality! And, if you ask any one of the guest collectors in attendance, they would tell you that it was a magical day indeed. Eyes were bright with delight, while laughter and smiles filled the home. The happy spirit of Halloween was ever present, and the day was truly a treat for all. JP and myself spent countless hours photographing the decor, displays, the food and the presentations in hopes that we could indeed document the event for the opportunity to share it with Matthew's readers.

And guess what?  That opportunity will soon be here! Matthew and his design team are putting the finishing touches on his Autumn issue as I type. The only way you can enjoy his fall issue for yourself is to order your copy directly from Matthew's Website. This Autumn Holiday is destined to be a collectible book-azine as its his last self-published edition before he hits the newsstands with his winter Holiday issue up next! So, I suggest that you order your copy now before they sell out, as numbers are limited.

Matthew Mead's Autumn will be shipping out in early September. In the meantime, I thought it would be fun to offer you a glimpse of the event to pique your curiosity. Since we snapped so many photos, I have extras to share that were not selected for publication. But wait till you see the multiple page spread that Matthew and his design team compiled for us! I can't wait to hold it in my hands, and I am just tickled to think that he included us in his first ever HOLIDAY with Matthew Mead Autumn magazine  :)

Kathy-Parker

* My mom, Kathy Parker, proudly introduces the guest speakers to a captive audience...

Mark-Craven-speaks

* Mark Craven of Craven Farm in Snohomish, Washington talks passionately about his love for vintage Halloween collectibles.....

Bruce-Elsass

* Bruce Elsass of the Hobgoblins Collection reveals his fabulous collection of vintage Halloween costumes and had the guests rolling in laughter...

Johanna-Parker

* I share the story of my career path that has led me down a spooky-fun trail of Halloween Folk Art and product design...

Vintage-Halloween

* We filled one of mom's antique cupboards with just a sampling of Mark's vintage collectibles from his astounding collection of over 3,000 pieces!

Bruce-Elsass-cat-&-jol

* On the opposite side of the room, we loaded on old corner cupboard with the various delights that Bruce Elsass brought with him, all the way from Connecticut! Here stands one of his latest vintage-inspired Halloween figures from his product line, destined for the mass retail market.

Parker-collection

* In the dining room, Mom had harvest tables and sideboards filled with edible delights. In this space, she also filled a corner cupboard with some of the items from her own Halloween collection. Can you spot some of my reproductions?

Halloween-Sweets

* In the kitchen, an antique tray of mom's homemade cookies beckoned guests to enjoy a sweet or two or three! The recipes will be included in AUTUMN with Matthew Mead Magazine...

Pumpkin-Seat-MM-Autumn

So, would you like to see and read lots more about this memorable day? Then, order your copy of AUTUMN with Matthew Mead Magazine!
Oh, and bring it to one my upcoming Halloween shows, and I will sign your copy too :)

Happy Haunting,
~ Johanna

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH, you have piqued my curiosity! It all looks like so much fun, and I love vintage Halloween - looking forward to this issue!

Marilyn B

Quentin Eckman said...

You'd thank a jack-o-lantern in a clown mask would be scary, but he's not, he's cute. And you've got him in the kitchen where the lights are bright, a very good idea. . . did I just see him move? No must be my imagination. :0)

Anonymous said...

Looks WONDERFUL! HALLOWEEN is my favorite time of year & Halloween parties are the best

Beth

Johanna Parker said...

Thanks all! Glad you are excited ~ me too.... This should be a fun feature.
(and Quentin - you must be referring to my previous post, and YES, I think that clown JOL DID just move.. hehe!)

~ Johanna

Archive Librarian said...

Wonderful Johanna! I can sense the great energy in the photos! What great fun and look forward to seeing the article!

So I hear summer up that way has been very cool this year? Must have been a little easier to get in the Autumn spirit?

Melissa said...

How fantastic!! That is a unique experience indeed. Congrats ~ always enjoy looking at your beautiful & delightful creations

Connie Porcher said...

Aswesome photos!

Elma said...

Oh my word what a wonderful pictures!! Looks like you had a great time:) Iordered the mag and can't wait to get it!!On the one picture of you holding a little basket I just love the one on the shelf behind you!!!

Unknown said...

Congrats to you Johanna and your Mom! I look forward to drooling over the pages in September... again I hate waiting, but it looks like I must ;)

Johanna Parker said...

I know, I have little patience too! Thanks all for the congrats, etc.... (and Elma ~ that's an old piece :) Maybe I should make a few standing figures again... IF the clock would only slow down a bit.... )

Glad you are enjoying the peek!
~ Johanna

Anonymous said...

Your photos are amazing! So glad I ordered my copy of Matthew Mead's Autumn. Glad I found you! Especially since Halloween is my favorite holiday!

Dan said...

Johanna~

I am so proud of you and your mom! I cannot wait to see the entire spread. I am overjoyed and so very happy for you both. As you know, I think you mom is one of the most special ladies that I have had the honor to meet and I think it is safe to say that you take after her quite a bit.

What a wonderful opportunity to have Matthew take such a great interest in the wonderful day that you and your mom planned. You both inspire me to be a better person and to try and explore my creative side to its fullest. I just cannot think of enough adjectives to describe how I feel about all of this. All I can say is that I feel so blessed to know you both and to be able to witness your creative minds at work. Congratulations from the bottom of my heart!

~Dan~

Johanna Parker said...

Oh, I am very touched by your sweet message Dan, and the feeling is certainly mutual... :) You know your creativity is certainly inspiring to me too! I hope to have the chance to meet you one of these days for an in-person inspiration exchange!

And Leah, I'm glad you found me too! Thank you for ordering a copy... I hope you enjoy!!

Many thanks to all!
~ Johanna

The Fanciful Elephant Emporium said...

So exciting! What a great day. See ya. Going to order my mag!

Cheers, Doodles

Jenn Fisher said...

Love the pictures and the cookies look spooktacular :)

Jenn:)

Darlene said...

How awesome!! Congrats to you and your mom, such a great opportunity. I have only met you once, but you have inspired me and many other artists to reach beyond the stars with all kinds of artistic creation.
Thanks
Darlene

Dan said...

That would be wonderful! I would love to meet you and your mom both! We could have a little family reunion! = )

~Dan~

Dru Ann @ a Fine Farmhouse said...

I'm just discovering your blog and work ! I look forward to Matthew's new book/zine ! It all looks SO VERY WONDERFUL !!!

Rani said...

Vintage All Hallows Eve...the most wonderful time of the year!!! Love your blog and art!!!! My girl are smitten too!!!!

Anonymous said...

HI!! What a wonderful thing!!! I just feel in love with all that cool vintage stuff???!!! Where did he ever find such wonderful stuff?? Anyway, I am a big fan of folk art and Bethany Lowe designs!! I am a hude collector of the vintage style Halloween and Christmas. I am a even bigger fan of Bruce Ellas stuff and have been trying to collect and get some of his stuff. I understand he no longer works with Bethany? : ( And i would love to know if he has a blog or anywhere else he may sell his stuff??? Thanks so much!

Johanna Parker said...

Thank you all ~ glad you are enjoying the sneak peeks!

As for Bruce Elsass ~ he no longer designs for BLD, but she still carries a few of his past items. He is currently working on product concepts for the mass retail market. So for example, you may come across some of his pieces at a Pottery Barn or other larger retailer. And no, at this time, he does not have a website or blog, but I keep bugging him to do so :) That would be so helpful for us in seeking out his collectibles.

Something Special said...

I just love your work. You inspire my brain to get movin. You turn out so many items. I design for a scrapbook company, and do lots of crafts, but I spend to much time on my computer, and spend lots of hours thinking about all the stuff I want to create and make, that I don't actually get very much done!

Johanna Parker said...

OH, I hear ya ~ I'm the same way... So many ideas spinning around and never enough time to finish or sometimes even start them. What frustrates me is the amount of time it takes to complete just one concept, and usually I have lots going at once. So, I have to force myself to be patient yet try to meet those lurking due dates. At least I enjoy what I do, and it sounds like you do as well!

Amy M. said...

Got my Matthew Mead magazine yesterday and so enjoyed your feature. Where did you get the wonderful dress you are wearing? I need one!!!

-Amy

crafting by candlelight

Johanna Parker said...

Oh that's great Amy!.....

As for the dress ~ I think I got the overcoat at Kohl's, and then I roughly stitched the orange ruffles to the cuffs and sculpted the large papier mache buttons - those I just added with safety pins to the coat!

Glad you like!

Anonymous said...

I also recieved my Mathew Mead magazine love every bit of it .Look forward to seeing you in Denver, and having you sign my book have several of your things love them all . Can't wait.