Friday, August 19, 2011

Sneak Peek from my Workshop....

With August more than halfway behind me, and September looming, I have been spending long hours in the workshop preparing my collection of Halloween originals for this fall. I have one batch of characters almost complete, but many pieces still yearn for a set of wire arms, wings and the like along with a trim or two to be finished and ready for adoption. It's certainly a process that tends to take me longer with each year ~ I know, it should be the other way around!... So, I have another batch underway, and I spent most of my day sculpting candy containers and other characters that came to mind. As 9pm rolled in, I decided to scrape the crusty papier mache flakes off of my fingers and snap a few teaser images of what I have in store.... Many of these guys are still works in progress, so use your imagination :)
Enjoy!

(PS ~ just peeked at my post again, and ALL these pictures look like they are on fire!  Hot orange saturation galore :) That's what I get for taking my shots at night and working on the graphics with tired eyes....)

Halloween-Owl

* A black & white owl sports my new illustrated hat and awaits a vintage bow tie, perhaps....

Peek-a-Boo

* Peek-a-boo!... says the egg cup character peering through a pair of black cats...

Paintbrushes

* A funky cocoa powder tin holds a series of paintbrushes ready for action...

Naked-Owl

* Eek! Cover your eyes ~ these guys are still in the nude.....

Jack-O-Lantern

* A surprised jack-o'-lantern lets out a little shriek! Perhaps she's a wee bit scared of the mouse sneaking up behind her....

Jacks-&-Bats

*Another jack-o'-lantern is topped by a wee little bat, awaiting a set of whimsy wings... That's a whole process in itself ~ cutting the wire, forming, shaping & curling the tiny wings, a little glue here and a little glue there, drilling some holes more glue, and voila!....
It all takes patience, and I'm honestly not a very patient person!!

Halloween-Trims

* A little box of handmade collars made from vintage crepe papers offers me options when the time comes to dress each character. The papier mache cup is decorated in handpainted autumn leaves and will serve as the base for another JOL character....

WIP-Owls

* In the works is this owl, obviously in need of eyes and more finishing touches... He sits atop a recycled container that once housed some yum yum yum gelato.... I feel a chocolate craving coming on!....

Ghosts-&-Cats

* Black kitties in the foreground look to be howling at the ghost figures in the back...

Halloween-Characters

* Another peek at some of the Halloween characters that have been watching me work!

Did I get you in the mood for Halloween?  Are you intrigued, and would you like to see more?  Well, I will be revealing all of these fun characters at my 2 Halloween Events this year, and of course you will have the opportunity to adopt one or a few for yourself!

So, please MARK YOUR CALENDARS for:

The 5th Annual Ghoultide Gathering
and
The 6th Annual Halloween Trunk Show

And if you are unable to attend, I do hope to host a Web Sale in October if all goes as planned. So, Join My Mailing List for all the details....

Happy Haunting,
~ Johanna

11 comments:

Adele said...

ooooh, looks Hauntingly wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the owls! Wish Halloween was tomorrow.

Johanna Parker said...

Thank you!!!!

..just peeked at my post again, and ALL these pictures look like they are on fire! Hot orange saturation galore :) That's what I get for taking my shots at night and working on the graphics with tired eyes....

Oh well, you get the idea...
~ Johanna

Charmaine McLaughlin said...

Fabulous!!! Absolutely FABULOUS!!Your work is so much fun and sure gets me in the mood for Fall and Halloween! I've already started to put out a few Fall decorations and I usually don't do that until the first day of school. I'll be keeping an eye on this blog!! Tons of inspiration!!

Johanna Parker said...

LOVE your enthusiasm Charmaine! Thank you for stopping by and sharing your excitement for Halloween :)

~ Johanna

just me said...

so just picked up the annual Better Homes and garden Halloween issue and on page 47 looks like some of your art on a great spooky candy table!!

Johanna Parker said...

Hmmm, was it the TRicks & Treats annual issue? I heard a rumor that my art may be in there, but I wasn't aware of it!.... Now, I'm very curious :)

~ Johanna

Amber said...

YAY!!! I am so excited! Adam and I just booked our stay in Northville,MI for the Ghoultide Gathering! I seriously cannot wait!!!!! See you very soon :-)

Johanna Parker said...

Fabulous! OH, it will be so fun to see you again Amber ~ it's been too long, and I look forward to meeting Adam too! :)

See you next month! EEEK!
~ Johanna

Quentin Eckman said...

Great work!

Lauren Hyatt said...

Love the owls! They are all the rage :). Beautiful work!
Xoxo
Lauren Hyatt