Saturday, June 6, 2015

Workshop Peek-a-Boo!

It's about time for an artist update! My workshop is beginning to look a lot like Halloween! As I have decided to exhibit at 2 Halloween Art Events this year, I figure it's best to begin building my collection of October-themed originals now versus later. Before I forget, please mark your calendars for these 2 special events:

* 2nd Annual Hallowbaloo in Redmond, Washington
SEPTEMBER 19th, 2015 

* 10th Annual Halloween Trunk Show in Denver, Colorado
OCTOBER 10th, 2015

I know I have been a little distant and distracted with gardening projects around the house and designing art for licensing. So, I have not had much time to blog. However, I have been juggling my papier mache sculpts with all the rest. Here's a current sneak peek from the workshop of my one of a kind characters in the works. Keep in mind, these guys are unfinished as many need painted accents, trims, and other final touches. But, I thought I'd share my process. And yes, there are many more to come! So, if I disappear again, know I'm busy creating :)

Happy June to you, and I hope to see many of you this fall at my Halloween Art Shows!

Best Wishes,
~ Johanna 

Halloween-Busts-in-the-Works

* A couple of Halloween character busts in the works, pose with unfinished party hats....

Halloween-JackoLantern-ball

* A sweet jack-o'-lantern ball character dons a lovely aged green hue.... The hand-sewn vintage crepe paper collar will soon decorate his neck, and maybe a thin bead of black glass glitter will trim the base of his stem...

Halloween-Illustrated-Hats

* For this year's hat, I hand-illustrated a version of my flying witch design that appears on some of my graphic-designed products from my Primitives by Kathy collection. A variety of hat sizes, glued and sealed, are now closer to being ready to top some of my folk art sculptures!

Halloween-Painted-Cat

* My ball characters are always a popular choice. This black cat ball is trying on a 2-toned vintage crepe paper collar for color-matching and size.

Halloween-Rabbit-Character

* A black bunny here and there always adds more variety to my Halloween mix! This guy dons a medley of painted sweets on his round-bellied base... I think he needs a collar too...

Halloween-Hat-Cluster

* Just another view of my handmade party hats! It looks like a conical parade is coming to town!

Halloween-Naked-Bat

* Cover your eyes! This bat is bare! Sans his wire wings, he still needs an appointment with JP for final sanding, and then we'll take it from there!

Halloween-Owls-Sculpts

* An owl with no eyes and missing wire wings and feet is wondering when the heck I will allow him to see! Looks like his buddy is one step ahead, but still cannot fly. I have my work cut out for me....

Thanks for stopping by!

ALSO Follow along with me on:

Instagram   Follow Me on Pinterest  and FACEBOOK!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Braaaavo!! These are fantastic and are making me wish for Halloween to get here asap. I am in love with the cat in his two-tone crepe collar and pumpkin image. So amazing! I can't wait!!

Jody H.

Johanna Parker said...

Ahhh, thanks Jody! Love your enthusiasm, and thanks for the inspiration :) Glad you like some of my goodies in the works!

xoxo,
~ Johanna

Lynn said...

Such a talented artist!! Love to see all your creations, could never pick a favorite....but I am partial to Pumpkin faces. Have you ever thought of making Halloween Masks? Colorado proud that your one of ours!

Lynn B.